Tuesday, February 12, 2008

R-E-S-P-E-C-T



On Friday night I had the amazing fortune to get into some of the LA Grammy fun by attending the MusiCares Artist of the Year tribute to Aretha Franklin. My date and I were guest of Tony and Danny Bennett, so we had the best table in the house. Sitting in various seats behind us, were Quincy Jones, Natalie Cole, Barry Gordy, The Rev. Al Sharpton (who i swear was calling Aretha "Uretha"), Mike Love, Paul Williams and a real "who's who" in the music business.

The night began with an outragious silent auction. It was a giant ballroom full of art, memoriblia, jewlery and general stuff. I bid on a few pieces of art but was outbid but did end up with 2 packages of videogames.

The show was amazing. Highlights included a live apearance (but not performance) by Dan Akroyd and Jim Belushi as the Blues Brothers, John Legend, who's breezy version of Daydreamin' didnt really work, but he is such a cool breeze himself, his appearance worked and The Queen of Soul herself closed the show.

She is like Mount Rushmore to see in person. Larger than life literaly and figurativly. Seeing her perform live is something I will tell my Grandchildren about someday.

Sitting at a table with Tony Bennett a few feet in front of a stage full of Aretha made for a pretty magic night.

No comments: